Adventures in Anesthetics

As many of you know, I am a lightweight. Seriously, a total light weight. I should be labeled the queen of the lightweights. Bahaha. See? Crap, it’s not even official, and I am already drunk with power. But what power one would ask?

In all honesty though, one simple margarita inevitably leaves me giggling and flushed for the next few hours. Make it two, and I’ll be dancing on your antique dining room table. So just think about what could happen when you exchange the tequila for some anesthetics? A tiny little bit goes a loooooong way.

A few weeks ago, my dearest otolaryngologist (ear, nose + throat doctor) decided that after a kajillon and a half respiratory infections this year, it was finally time to remove my tonsils. On a beautiful Wednesday morning in September, we packed up and wandered off to have a “fun” morning at the hospital. After checking in, signing my life away in consent forms, having labs drawn, getting hooked up to some delicious LR, and donning that ever so sexy blue hospital gown, we waited. Sawyer, being the sweetheart he is, threatened to take video of me in the Recovery Room. It seemed like forever we were waiting, but my sweet Pre-Op Nurse kept us company (along with my MockingJay book – which I still haven’t finished). It wasn’t long before they came to take me to the OR.

While up in the OR holding area, the team all came to chat with me about the procedure, and what to expect when entering the actual OR – the EKG monitor, pulse oximiter, blood pressure cuff, the tube that would be going down my throat… Oh – and that it was going to be REALLY COLD. They loaded me up with some more warm blankets, and told me it wouldn’t be much longer. My sweet anesthesiologist Susan, came and spoke to me one last time before she began to wheel me in, gave me a few puffs of an inhaler, and some xanax, to “take the edge off”. Well it worked, because that is all I remember…

The next thing I remember is waking up in the PACU, to beeping noises of the telemetry, and my sweet Post-Op Nurse trying rather unsuccessfully keep my oxygen mask on my face. I remember her telling me that the surgery went well, but they had a hard time getting me to wake up afterwards had to use the reversal meds more than they had expected. Yay Narcan! (As I have said, a little bit goes a long way with this girl). Looking back it makes me laugh at how I usually am in the reversed role of holding oxygen on my confused patients faces, not the one continuously trying to pull it off. My lovely sister, Kristin + a close friend, Teana where both able to sneak some hugs in before I was wheeled down to Recovery to meet up with my husband.

Apparently, little mrs dazed and confused kept asking if they could get me a latte, unfortunately, I am still waiting for it, I swear she said she would be right back

The next few days were a complete fog, consisting of lots of meds, pain, blood, pain, the need for some serious NT suctioning,  and more pain. Somewhere in between the fog, I had  posted this on facebook:

Monday morning forecast: mental focus is cloudy with a chance of drowsy + scattered naps throughout the day.

It was not pleasant. Everything they say about adults having a harder time recovering from surgery is 100%. Kids recover so much faster – if you have the option, have your kids tonsils removed while they are young. I was a bad patient. I was very much not patient with my sweet husband who took a week working from home to take care of me. I owe him the world for putting up with my 2 am screams for pain medicine when I still had hours left before I could take more medicine. I know I scared him a few times. I am a very independent soul, I have never been one to ask for help. My sweet husband joked around a few times that we should leave the “fall risk” band on that the hospital had put on me in post-op. Maybe we should have, not like it would have helped other than to remind me that I was not in my right mind every time I clambered out of bed and stumbled down the hall towards the bathroom. Thankfully, my footsteps are not that quiet and Sawyer came running at the first sound of my feet hitting the floor. He saved me from many head on collisions with the counter-top even if only by a few inches.

Needless to say,  I am very glad that I am now, fully recovered, and feeling much better. Although I really miss having a diet consisting of coconut sorbet + smoothies.